Topic: New audio recorder (Zoom H4)

Has anyone tried this thing?  Looks very promising ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … amp;is=REG

-joe

Re: New audio recorder (Zoom H4)

joeweiss wrote:

Has anyone tried this thing?  Looks very promising ...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control … amp;is=REG

-joe

Joe,
First, permit me to introduce myself:  My name is Ed Foster Jr, and I am a long time PJ, now freelancing in the area of humanitarian photojournalism.  Second, THANKS very much for your generosity in making Soundslides available and especially at such a reasonable cost.  I have been using SS since May and I appreciate the ease and functionality of the program, and your dedication to improvements.

Now, in response to your question.  In my search for a recorder, a more experienced acquaintance and a respected sound engineer, both suggested I consider the Zoom H4.  I did and I bought one nearly 2 month ago.  I believed it to have a lot of bang for the buck and I preferred the convenience and versatility of 2 AA battery power in lieu of a fixed cell and proprietary charger.  All I needed was another charger in my travel bag!  As you can see by the specs it is also versatile in its recording modes, allows for monitoring, and has twin inputs for external microphones.  As for the quality, so far with my limited knowledge, I have been pleased My sound engineer acquaintance rates the quality as very good and more than acceptable for my use.  At the moment, the only downside for me is the stupid windscreen (foam ball) that fits over the built in microphones.  For my use, it is a must in nearly all situations, but difficult to keep in place when carrying the recorder. I hope this helps.

Ed
www.edfoster.net

Bought one, really impressed so far, built in mic and tripod adapter are a real plus. I am doing a project at the Detroit Auto show this week and will post a full report here.
So far:
+ no clunky interface i.e. sony mini-disk  proprietary software
+ takes AA's
+ Great sound from built in Mic.
+ No "recorder sound" (had to wait 10-15 sec with mini disc at start up due to disc spin sound)
+Automatic levels seems to really work (go figure)
-+The person that designed the look of this thing had to have watched Star-Trek way too much
+ takes SD cards (I got 'em)
- Wind screen blows off in the wind
-Battery/SD door a little cheezy (looks really easy to break)
-+ Does too much (4 track ability with effects makes for a confusing onboard interface)
-Supplied software: neeed a degree in sound engineering to decipher, I'm sure it's great but I'm stickin with audacity
Got it for $275 with shipping from Amazon.
Tip: If you haven't already bought one don't go out and buy a Mic, the bult in Mic and built in software give the ability to simulate the sound of 4 different premium Mics out there, I know the popular advice is to buy a good mic but, really, try the built in one first
Roy Feldman

Did a project with the zoom in "share your work" under Detroit Auto Show
Lousy voice is mine and not the fault of the recorder.
Love this recorder.

5 (edited by Don 2007-01-14 15:06:51)

I've been using the H4 for a few weeks now and have been recording wolves. The feature I liked the most is being able to record for such a long time with a 2gig SD card. I haven't needed to touch any of the settings other than the mic gain switch and the recordings sound great.

The only downside, mentioned in an earlier post, is the windscreen. If someone would come out with a better one that actually stayed on I would buy it. The windscreen that comes in the box doesn't stay on. I hope they come out with one like they were going to in the first place.

See http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/20 … order.html .

That one looks like it would work much better.

royfel wrote:

Tip: If you haven't already bought one don't go out and buy a Mic, the bult in Mic and built in software give the ability to simulate the sound of 4 different premium Mics out there, I know the popular advice is to buy a good mic but, really, try the built in one first
Roy Feldman

Is there a consensus on this? Tip: I am new to all this audio stuff ;-)

Thanks!
Damon

I think the build in mic works quite good most of the time, but I prefer to use external mics because of their different characteristics. It's like using wideangle or tele lenses on a camera.
What I like with the H4 are the XLR plugs which seem to be a more reliable connection. A friend made me a cable with two plugs on one side and one on the mics side so I can record "stereo" mith a mono mic.

A little downside for me is that connected to my beyerdynamic M58 the input level of this mic is very low. Maybe someone has an idea to fix this?

An example recorded with the H4:

http://www.stefan-sobotta.de/galerien/m … gekurs.htm

Most of the background sounds is recorded with the build-in mic

I have just bought a Zoom H4, and do find the instructions and menus a challenge! My specific problem is that when replaying a recording, the built-in mics are still "live", so I get feedback and handling noise. I must be doing something wrong - can anyone help?

have to say that my tendancy is just to plug the H4 into my computer and download the sound files and edit them within the computer itself.  This is an excellent piece of kit and i'm delighted wtih it - however i agree on the comments regarding the foam ball - but this is the only downside!

I'm not sure about he timing of this reply, meaning I don't know when the discussion actually started or ended, but I've been using the Zoom H2 for a couple of months and it's fantastic. Small, very light, and easy to use.  The quality has been surprising for under $200.