Topic: Stand-alone, offline Soundslides show without converting to video?

I want to use Soundslides to make some slideshows for use in a museum display; is it possible to create a stand-alone, offline Soundslides show without converting to video? I know I'd lose panning/zooming movement in stills if I went for that option. I've had a quick look in the manual but can't see anything so far. Is it as simple as uploading all the files onto the museum's computer hard drive and playing at full screen from a browser? Or would there need to be adjustments to settings made for browsers or within Flash Player?
Thanks

Re: Stand-alone, offline Soundslides show without converting to video?

Hi Liz.

LizM wrote:

Is it as simple as uploading all the files onto the museum's computer hard drive and playing at full screen from a browser?

That's exactly how you'd need to do it, and many people have created presentations in that manner.  Usually they put the slide show into fullscreen mode and just have it looping.

The slide show will work completely offline.  In fact, this is how it plays when you hit "Test" in the application.  It opens the slide show up in the browser and plays it locally from your hard drive.

To play the exported slide show locally, just hit "EXPORT", then open the publish_to_web folder's "index.html" in your browser.

If you have any issues at all, let us know.

-joe

Thanks Joe, reassuring and speedy answer!

A follow-up query to the stand-alone Soundslides question posted last year (completed 5 Soundslides shows but museum exhibition not due to open till next month - hence delay!)

I now have the 'publish-to-web' folder for each of the Soundslides projects enabled for full screen, but does the user  have to select 'full-screen' manually each time it's played or is there something I've missed that will let that happen automatically as soon as it opens in the browser?

I've set them to play automatically so at present it's necessary to pause, rewind and enter full screen and hit play again - not very satisfactory. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Unfortunately Adobe blocks Flash from accessing full screen mode without user input as a security measure (to avoid malware taking over someone's screen). Therefore there is no way to have a slide show automatically launch in full-screen mode.

Jonathan

Hi Liz,

This gets pretty technical, but one possible solution is that you may want to look into setting the browser to "kiosk mode", manually, or when the computer first starts. You could then create the project at the exact width/height of the screen resolution. Sizing the project at the exact dimensions of the screen resolution plus setting the browser to kiosk mode would essentially avoid the need to enter full screen mode through flash.

Again, this is a very techy solution and the exact solution would be dependent on your hardware and browser setup.

- Justin

Thanks Justin and Jonathan,
Wish I'd realized this when I started out! Live and learn!
Liz