Topic: Output resolution on video conversion tool -- creating file for TV/DVD

Hi,
I'm working on creating a DVD of several Soundslides pieces to be shown on a TV/DVD player set-up. I believe it's about a 33 inch TV.

I was reading in an older post that Joe recommended an output resolution of 1024 or 1280 on the long side for files to be used for standard definition DVD players. But I am using the video conversion tool to output my files to burn to DVD, and it only allows for resolution up to 720 on the long side.

I've read the threads about using Snapz Pro to create .mov files for this purpose, and am wondering if this is the only way to create higher resolution files? I will experiment with the free trial version of Snapz, but was surprised by the limited resolution output of the video converter and was wondering if I'm missing something.

Suggestions? Recommendations about how to create the best quality DVD output for a large-ish screen television viewing situation?

Thanks so much,
Kelly

Re: Output resolution on video conversion tool -- creating file for TV/DVD

Hi Kelly,

Standard DVD format is only 720 pixels by 480 pixels, so the DV format that the video converter uses is the maximum resolution.  That's what you need if you're making DVDs.

However, standard DVDs aren't very high quality, especially when paired with a HD TV.  That's why folks are switching to Blu-ray or playing HD files from their hard drives or streamed online.

As for getting a higher definition video file, I do have a converter here in the office that exports to 1280x720.  If you'd like me to run your slide show through it, just upload your zip to the converter as you normally would, then email me (support@soundslides.com) the download link and I'll re-convert it.

joe

Hi Joe,
Thanks for answering my question. I actually burned a sample DVD to test with this set-up yesterday, and it looked pretty decent -- I mean I guess it looked like the resolution that my eye is used to seeing on a TV screen as opposed to a computer screen.

I think the TV is a few years old, and I'm pretty sure it's not HD. But I'm curious if the higher resolution version would make a visible difference, or if the TV would display it at the same resolution regardless?

I don't have a final version of my presentation ready yet, but maybe when I do I'll send it along and see if you might be able to run it at the higher res., just to see if it makes a difference? Thanks for your help.

Kelly

Hi Joe,
I wanted to revisit this thread because I've just been invited to submit these same slideshows to a film festival. I'm putting together a DVD to send to the festival, but I was hoping you could tell me if I should be worried about making the files larger than 720 X 480, given that they will be displayed on a large, movie theatre screen. Could you let me know what you recommend in terms of prepping the files to make them look best on a large screen? Thanks very much.

Kelly

Hi Kelly.

Is the festival requesting standard definition DVDs? If so, then the 720 wide size is the highest resolution you can fit on a regular DVD. As far as I know, this is still the standard format requested for entries.

If the festival happens to be accepting HD, find out if they need Blu-ray or if they can accept an MP4 file.  Blu-ray burners are pretty expensive, and most people don't have access to one, but making an HD quality MP4 is fairly simple. We have a new test converter here in the office that will do it if needed.

As for prepping them, my advice is to go with what looks good on your monitor.  Projectors vary to such a huge degree that it's incredibly difficult to color match if you don't have access to the projector.  Generally, people aim for the middle of the road and hope that the venue has taken the time to calibrate their projectors.

Hope that helps.

-joe

Hi Joe,
Thanks very much -- very helpful. I will go with what looks good to me and cross my fingers!

Thanks,
Kelly

Hi Joe,
I am also looking for some HD quality MP4's. Is there a way to do this on my own yet? Or do you still need to do convert them with your in-office converter? Please let me know.
Thanks!
Kristin

Kristin,

I will send you an email about this.

Jonathan

I will send you an email with details.

Jonathan

Send it please me as well, I also need it. Thanks in advance.

Will do.

Jonathan

I'm also interested.

Digitalclickx, I have sent you the information by email.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,
I would also be interested in how to convert a soundslides show to .mp4 or .mov format by myself. Could you send me an email about this. Many thanks, and great software by the way!
Brian
--

Hi again Jonathon,

Another question if I may. I want to make the Soundslide show available to clients, by giving them a physical copy of the show on USB or CD (rather than putting it on the web),  but not let them have the whole folder of images in  the 'publish to web' folder. The 'fullscreen' folder has images that can be printed up to A6 size at least, which I don't want to give away with the audio-show.

So I thought of making a DVD/ .mov/ mp4 to make the images inaccessible. But is there a way to make the images within the 'publish to web' folder inaccessible to clients but accessible to the audio slideshow so that it continues to work properly?

all best
Brian
--

This isn't my area of expertise, but I don't know a way to do this. It may be possible to make the folder password protected but still accessible to your client's web browser, though I haven't tried this before. You may need to do some trial and error to see if it can be done. I imagine other forum users might like to know the results if you are able to get this working.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathon. I'll see what I can do and wait to see if other forum users have any ideas how to do this.

Could you also send me the information on how to convert a soundslides show to .mp4 or .mov format by myself?
many thanks
Brian

Sure, Brian. Here are instructions for the video converter from our user manual:

http://support.soundslides.com/index.ph … amp;id=132

If you need a video that includes user-controlled elements such as captions and credits, you will need to use screen-recording software such as Snapz Pro X. Here is a link to the website for the maker of that software:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

We haven't done screen recording on Windows, but there appear to be many options there as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=screen+ … p;ie=UTF-8

I will send you information on the HD converter by email.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathon,
Many thanks for that info and links and email. I was wondering how I may convert a soundslides show to .mp4 or .mov format by myself without using your online converter?
all the best
Brian
--

Hi Brian,

If you want to convert to video without using our online converter, you will need to use screen-recording software such as Snapz Pro X. Here is a link to the website for the maker of that software:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

We haven't done screen recording on Windows, but there appear to be many options there as well:

https://www.google.com/search?q=screen+ … p;ie=UTF-8

Jonathan

OK, cheers, thanks again for your help
Brian
--