Topic: ipad [yes, bloody ipad]

at the moment i am embeding the swf file in my html page using a wysiwyg editor. is it possible to embed something in an existing html page that will determine whether to play flash or java?
If i link to the index.html in the publish to web folder, the show works beautifully [although without movement and other funtionality] on ipad and as flash.
but sometimes i want my show to be part of a broader narrrative and don't want to navigate away from where the reader is to another page to see the show.
hope you can help.
thanks very much

Re: ipad [yes, bloody ipad]

Hi 1826.

I'm working on a new method for embedding the player now.  It will be able to determine which version (Flash vs HTML5/JS) to use.

I hope to have it done this week.

joe

That's great thanks Joe. You should be congratulated for not only a great product, but also for your excellent ongoing service and development.
Cheers, Donegan

Joe,

Forgive me for not understanding completely, but does this new method mean I just export my soundslide piece as normal, then put in a code or script in the html? Or will I then export two versions of the soundslide package, one being HTML5/JS and one being Flash, then put in the code to determine which will be used?

Thanks,

Narayan

Hi Narayan,

narayan wrote:

does this new method mean I just export my soundslide piece as normal, then put in a code or script in the html?

Yes. You'll need to use a different type of embed code when you embed, but the actual production of your slide show will happen as it normally does.

I'm finishing up the new shell folder now.  I'll post it within the hour with directions on how to generate the new embed code.

-joe

Ok, here's the new shell:
http://media.soundslides.com/release/shells/idetect.zip

Just unzip it an copy the "iDetect_embeddable" folder into your Soundslides or Soundslides Plus "shells" folder.

Example:
index.html

This version uses Flash when available in a regular browser, and automatically switches to an HTML/JS version when on iPad or iPhone.  It uses an iframe for the embed code, which is the same type of embed that YouTube, Google Maps and Vimeo use for their HTML5-compatible embeds.

And here's the cool part; the embed code generator is built into the slide show's html page.  So you'll get proper embed code if you add "?embedcode" to the end of your slide show's URL.  Like the other embed code generator, the slide show files have to be uploaded to your web site before you can get the embed code.

Example using the built-in embed generator:
index.html?embedcode

This is all brand new, so we're still testing and will continue through the weekend and early next week.  If you see anything unusual, please send or post the URL and I'll take a look.

-joe

Thanks Joe.
I've installed the new shell and uploaded the updated ss show to my server, but the embed utility tells me : Error: No slide show was found at that URL.
the url is http://www.1826media.com.au/portraits/index.html
The embed utility has found other ss on my server [but these are ss i haven't updated with the new shell]
Thanks for your help on this front.
Cheers,
John Donegan

update  --  pardon my ignorance - i followed your tip on the inbuilt generator.
everything is perfect on ipad and firefox and ie. you've got one very happy customer here.
Thank you Joe.

Am I correct in understanding that we can now embed iPad friendly slide shows into any
web page, even those hosted by others such as Blogger or portfolio hosting Sitewelder, by
1) choosing the iDetect_embeddable shell in Sound Slides and 2) adding "?embedcode" to the end of our slide show's URL ?

Am I missing any steps here ?

Would I be able to use the SS online menu tool to create multiple chapters that an iPad could
access and then view the individual chapters ?

Hi Tom. Not sure about the multiple chapters with the online tool. I embed my chapters into an html page.
1]choose iDetect_embeddable shell.
2] export
3] upload publish to web folder to server.
4] type the url of the index.html file at the server you have just uploaded to, and then append ?embedcode to the end of the url. that will give you the code. [i.e: ]www.myserver.com/myslideshow/publish_to_web/index.html?embedcode]
5] Cut and paste the code into the html of the page you want the slideshow to play.

Good luck.

Hi Tom.

You are correct, so long as the CMS (eg Blogger, SiteWelder, etc) allows you to include an iframe tag in your post.

As for the menu tool, I haven't started working on an HTML5/JS version of that yet - it probably won't get started this year.  I'm thinking through a couple of options for that.

joe

Hello Joe,

I tried the new iPad shell and had some issues with the Flash.

• fullscreen button doesn't work; (Firefox 3.6.12, Opera 10.6)

• IE 7.0.5xx it doesn't work at all, I get just a blank page with the corresponding title.

This happens on both my test and the example posted here (Holding up the memories, by Jonathan Young, beautiful btw)

Hi Joe,
everything is running fine in the browser, but I'm not getting auto play on the ipad. i can click through the images, but when i hit play on the ipad it just gets stuck on the first image.
cheers,

John D

Sorry Joe, the address is http://www.1826media.com.au/portraits.html

cheers

hi Joe,
further to my previous posts, if the slides play for  4 sec or more, then the show plays normally on ipad and pc and mac. if the slides are under 4 sec then the show wont play on ipad.

cheers

john d.

Thanks for testing it guys, this helps me a lot.

Zenzoom wrote:
  • fullscreen button doesn't work; (Firefox 3.6.12, Opera 10.6)

• IE 7.0.5xx it doesn't work at all, I get just a blank page with the corresponding title.

The fullscreen issue is a quick fix, but I'm not seeing the same issue with IE.  Can you visit this page and post the details of your browser and Flash install?

Also, does the following link work on your install of IE7?

http://media.soundslides.com/examples/fullscreen/

1826 wrote:

everything is running fine in the browser, but I'm not getting auto play on the ipad. i can click through the images, but when i hit play on the ipad it just gets stuck on the first image.

Very weird, and you're totally right about the 4 second thing.  I'll figure out what's up and get it fixed.

Thanks again.

joe

Just to make it more confusing, I've got one with audio that wont play on the ipad now. I've pared it back to the 4 sec rule, straight cut transitions and no  movement, but it still wont play.
this one is at http://www.1826media.com.au/rafw.html.

i appreciate the work Joe, and it is great to get my site playing on the ipad. Thanks for your help.

cheers,

john d

There: "Your Flash Player version is WIN 10,1,53,64. Your browser is Internet Explorer 5+ on the Windows platform".

And yes, the fullscreen example works perfect on IE, button included.

I updated my flash player on IE, and was hoping that maybe that would be the problem, but no, still have the same problem with the blank page.

Joe, I checked IE's JS panel where I can read:

"Line: 55
Char: 6
Error: Expected identifier, string or number
Code: 0
URL: htt://media.soundslides.com/files/20101029_auto_detect_test/index.html"

(If you see anything there that looks like a mistype, it *is* a mistype. I wonder who was the brilliant mind that made that JS panel on IE. There is no way to copy/paste the messages!)

Hope that helps.

Hi Joe,
this ss works on ipad....
www.1826media.com.au/athletes/index.html
i built my navigators around the index.html

this ss using the embed code in my existing template does not
www.1826media.com.au/athletes.html

Thanks John.  These examples help a lot.  I'm going through now trying to correct all the items you guys have found.  Hopefully I'll have a fix nailed down by early next week.

joe

joeweiss wrote:

Ok, here's the new shell:
http://media.soundslides.com/release/sh … ddable.zip

Just unzip it an copy the "iDetect_embeddable" folder into your Soundslides or Soundslides Plus "shells" folder.

Example:
index.html

This version uses Flash when available in a regular browser, and automatically switches to an HTML/JS version when on iPad or iPhone.  It uses an iframe for the embed code, which is the same type of embed that YouTube, Google Maps and Vimeo use for their HTML5-compatible embeds.

And here's the cool part; the embed code generator is built into the slide show's html page.  So you'll get proper embed code if you add "?embedcode" to the end of your slide show's URL.  Like the other embed code generator, the slide show files have to be uploaded to your web site before you can get the embed code.

Example using the built-in embed generator:
index.html?embedcode

This is all brand new, so we're still testing and will continue through the weekend and early next week.  If you see anything unusual, please send or post the URL and I'll take a look.

-joe

I am trying to get soundslides to work for ipads also. but a little confused. I understand to move the contents of iDetect_embeddable into the shells folder, but what about all the other files in that zip file .. where do THEY go.

I also see a ipad_autodetect folder ... if I have to add the files above what is in the ipad_autodetect folder?

Also you mention "index.html?embedcode "

does that mean (as an example)

http://joemezz.com/slideshow  will not autodetect ipads but

http://joemezz.com/slideshow/index?embedcode   WILL  auto detect ipads??

::confused::

thanks,
Joe

Sorry for the confusion. 

The entire "iDetect_embeddable" folder should be moved into "shells".  All the enclosed files should remain inside of that folder. It should appear just like the other folders.

The ?embedcode is only for you.  Adding those few characters shows you the embed code you'll need for your blog.  I only added that as a convenience, but it does appear to cause some confusion.

If there are any questions, please let me know.  We're working hard on this shell, and we're writing out the documentation as we go so it will all be ready when this player comes out of beta.

-joe

And to clarify using your links:

This would autodetect:
http://joemezz.com/slideshow

This will not autodetect.  It is only for you, so that you can easily create your embed code:
http://joemezz.com/slideshow/index.html?embedcode