Topic: Photo Sizes

Just a quick question....Is there an optimum size we should be shooting photos at, to maximize how things look in the Soundslide player?

Or another way to look at it: should I be cropping photos to a certain overall size, or simply shooting 5:4 or 3:4 or whatever?

Any best practices would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been addressed...I couldn't see anything in "search", but as Soundslides is my primary destination, it seems like a good idea to shoot photos for it.

Thanks for your time!

Re: Photo Sizes

There are a lot of possible answers depending on the use of the software, but here is a workflow that is in use at several media organizations:

1. Tone, crop and caption in Adobe Photoshop.
   2. Set color profile to "sRGB."
   3. Size images to 1000px (longest dimension).
   4. Sharpen lightly if necessary.
   5. Save as JPG at quality of 12 or "Maximum" in single folder.
   6. Import folder into Soundslides or Soundslides Plus.

Jonathan

As for the aspect ratio, I'm a fan of the "full frame" look ... so I try to keep the images to the same ratio as they appeared in the camera.

For most cameras, that's a 3:2 ratio, which would be 800x533 or 1000 x 666.

-joe

joeweiss wrote:

As for the aspect ratio, I'm a fan of the "full frame" look ... so I try to keep the images to the same ratio as they appeared in the camera.

For most cameras, that's a 3:2 ratio, which would be 800x533 or 1000 x 666.

-joe

@ Joe - That's pretty much what I've been doing, so that's reassuring. Thank you.

@ Jonathan - Thanks very much - good workflow suggestions and good to know what other organizations are doing. I'll spend some time with this.

Thanx for the fast responses. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
~scott.

You can avoid the step 3 and keep your images in their original size. Soundslides does a great job to downsize automatically the images to the output size.

Dehesdin, then does that mean that the file size does not affect how a slideshow will load, buffer and play? I have to ask this because I am attempting a stop motion project and will be using a LOT of photos.  I thought by resizing them all to same size (1000 pix on longest side), this would make the slideshow run smoother, and load faster.  Your thoughts?

Desiree

Since the final images are downsized by Soundslides anyway, resizing them ahead of time will only speed up the importing into Soundslides.  It won't affect the loading that your audience sees.

-joe

Great to know, Joe - thanks. This will save me a whole step.

Des

Am using 940 x 390 images that display well on an Acer Aspire netbook, with normal Firefox browser bars and the Windows bar either on the side or at bottom. No headline or caption/credit areas... I would reduce height to 350 or less if I used these Soundslides areas.