1 (edited by J. Mark 2009-02-08 17:04:38)

Topic: Soundslide not working [on WebNG]

I don't know why, but just a yesterday, I posted my first soundslide on a news web site that I work for, and a blog that I personally own.

They worked just fine until late yesterday, worked again earlier today ... and now there's nothing but a gray screen where my soundslide ought to be.

What's wrong?

http://joeysabovethefold.blogspot.com/2 … e-for.html

Re: Soundslide not working [on WebNG]

Just found out I can just use the archive.zip for our Web site ... but it still doesn't work for embedding though, which is just annoying because I paid for that embed feature for a reason.

Oh well, I guess.

Hi J. Mark.

What is the URL of your slide show on your news web site's servers?

Our embed tool is online and running as expected.  If your slide show is viewable online in a web browser, the embed tool should be able to output the code.  If not, post the URL and I'll create it by hand for you.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about using the archive.zip on your news site.  The zip is only used when posting to a "control panel" type server setup.  If you're posting to a standard web server, you'll need the files unzipped ... that way you can view the HTML file in a browser and get the proper embed code.  What method can you post to your news site's servers?  I should be able to talk you through getting it up online if there's a problem now.

Regarding WebNG ...

The slide show on your blog is hosted on a WebNG account, and that account appears offline.

The slide show URL just re-directs:
http://jmark79.webng.com/freeport1000/

We're not affiliated with WebNG in any way. 

Several customers requested a tutorial on how to post to WebNG.  They touted WebNG's great free service (this was back in early 2007) ... so I created an instructional movie on how to post to their site.  Over the last year, we've posted warnings on our WebNG page noting their ads, and how inconsistent they have become with regards to customer service.  At this time we can not recommend WebNG for anything other than personal, non-critical hosting accounts.

We don't see these issues with paid hosting companies. We have instructions and tutorials on how to post to other non-free hosting accounts including FTP servers, and MobileMe.

Let me know what you need in regards to getting your slide show back online, and I'll try to help as much as possible.  I can temporarily host it on our servers if you're in a bind.  Just let me know ...

-joe

http://www.journalstandard.com/sports/x … nior-Night

This is the URL for which the soundslide is supposed to be on. I swear, it worked throughout Saturday afternoon ... and now it doesn't work at all.

I figured this had something to do with WebNG and I wish I could find a better service for free ... but I guess all in due time.

The Zope4Media thingy we use to publish seems to have a special section for publishing soundslides. I'm not sure how it works, either, but it does ask for the archive.zip file but it seems slightly complicated ... which is why I'd rather use the embedded code for the web.

Basically, I need an embedded code for the web so that I can re-post the soundslide. That's just one issue. For future soundslides, though ... I'm not sure how this is going to work.

Please help.

Well, the journalstandard.com web page is also using the slide show files that's hosted on WebNG ... so that's why it is showing up blank.

In the long run, I would try to figure out how to publish to your paper's actual web server ... since their server isn't going to go offline. Once the files are on their server, you can embed the slide show in your blog as well.

In the short run, we need to get your slide show on a web server.  Are you able to upload to an FTP site?

If so, I'll stick them on our server.  I'm emailing you our FTP directions now.

-joe

I have all of the files needed to upload the soundslide now.

I just sent the FTP login info.  Have you ever used FTP before?

-joe

Once in college, but it's been a while. Could you help?

Here's a step-by-step using the open source client FileZilla.
http://support.soundslides.com/index.ph … amp;id=117

If the zip is less than 15MB, you can just email it.  I sent along logins and addresses in an email a few minutes ago.

-joe

Soundslides on both the blog and Web site works!

Thanks for all your help Joe!

Hi Joe,

I saw your following discussion (with J. Mark, below). I am also having difficulty with Webng in that a link to a slideshow I put up a few days ago now takes me to an error page indicating a "nonexistent network connection". I have tried but the Webng site will not now allow me to create a new directory to try again.

Could you suggest how and to where I could up load my soundslides slide show so that others can view it online?

Thanks,
Lionel

joeweiss wrote:

Hi J. Mark.

What is the URL of your slide show on your news web site's servers?

Our embed tool is online and running as expected.  If your slide show is viewable online in a web browser, the embed tool should be able to output the code.  If not, post the URL and I'll create it by hand for you.

I'm not sure I understand the comment about using the archive.zip on your news site.  The zip is only used when posting to a "control panel" type server setup.  If you're posting to a standard web server, you'll need the files unzipped ... that way you can view the HTML file in a browser and get the proper embed code.  What method can you post to your news site's servers?  I should be able to talk you through getting it up online if there's a problem now.

Regarding WebNG ...

The slide show on your blog is hosted on a WebNG account, and that account appears offline.

The slide show URL just re-directs:
http://jmark79.webng.com/freeport1000/

We're not affiliated with WebNG in any way. 

Several customers requested a tutorial on how to post to WebNG.  They touted WebNG's great free service (this was back in early 2007) ... so I created an instructional movie on how to post to their site.  Over the last year, we've posted warnings on our WebNG page noting their ads, and how inconsistent they have become with regards to customer service.  At this time we can not recommend WebNG for anything other than personal, non-critical hosting accounts.

We don't see these issues with paid hosting companies. We have instructions and tutorials on how to post to other non-free hosting accounts including FTP servers, and MobileMe.

Let me know what you need in regards to getting your slide show back online, and I'll try to help as much as possible.  I can temporarily host it on our servers if you're in a bind.  Just let me know ...

-joe

Hi Lionel.

Are you just looking for free hosting options, or are you able to get your own website or webspace?

The slide show can be hosted on any server that gives you FTP access.  Like I mentioned to Mark, the free hosting market is basically dead, so you'll most likely have to pay for some kind of hosting account.

I think GoDaddy's cheapest account, which is probably more web space than most people need, is about $50 a year.

-joe

Thanks Joe,

Am happy to pay. I guess I also need to know exactly how to get my slideshow on the web with GoDaddy. Your WebNG tutorial was very helpful! Could you help me to get it online again?

Thanks,
Lionel

Oh, sure thing.

Here's our tutorial for using FTP - which works well with GoDaddy:
http://support.soundslides.com/index.ph … amp;id=117

You should get your server address, username and password from GoDaddy, then log in with an FTP client.  The link above includes download links for FileZilla, which is a free FTP client.

The main difference between uploading to WebNG and uploading via FTP, is that you do not have to zip your publish_to_web folder with FTP.  You'll be able to just drag the entire folder over to your web site. 

If you have any questions at all, let me know and we'll talk through it.

-joe

Hi Joe,

Great. Am going to give it a try. I actually already have an FTP programme called Transmit.

Thanks again,

Lionel

Transmit is even better. That's what I use every day.

Let me know how it goes ...

Sorry, It is not clear on GoDaddy which product I need! All I want to do is put a slideshow I have ready online.

Here's the link to their web hosting services:
http://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/hosting/s … sp?ci=9009

I have the Economy Plan (which we use as a test account).  I would get a domain name for the server as well.  I think they also offer to register a domain name for the server when you purchase.

After you purchase, they'll setup your account, then email you a login for their control panel.  From there, you can find your FTP info.

Since I have already have an account with them, let me know if you'd like to see how it works before buying ... I can email you our FTP login info.

-joe

Thanks Joe, that would be great. My email address is lionelhealing@hotmail.com Would you mind me uploading my slideshow?

Sure thing, I'm emailing the login info now.

-joe

Got it, thanks!