Topic: EDIROL R-09HD problems help please

Is anybody using the above recorder? I have a problem with mic input being of considerably lower volume than from the onboard mics.

This is a new problem and i can only think it is some change i have made with buttons or, whist the machine is fighting with my cameras in my bag!

I'm using a rode ntg-2 and a sony lapel mic, both of which have new batts. I have changed out the 3.5mm phono to xlr cable but am still getting audio that is 30% lower than the on board mics. I don't remember it being that bad.

If I turn the mic sensitivity to high it degrades the quality with too much hiss.

Do you have and Edirol R09hr? can you tell me the settings you have for normal everyday speech etc?

thanks in advance

David

Re: EDIROL R-09HD problems help please

David,

First, I don't have the Edirol device. But are you absolutely positive the mic input is much lower than with previous usage with the same mics? The reason I ask is that typically external mics would record at a lower level than the internal mics (everything else equal).

Can you change the record level on the Edirol? (I don't mean the mic sensitivity, but recording level.) If you can, try upping that.

Finally, recording at a lower level may not be a big problem (depending on a variety of factors). If you have the Levelator then I'd suggest running the audio through that software. If the background noise is fine after "levelated" then there's not a real problem. The Levelator works on both Macs and Windows and is free.

Thanks Mitchellm.

I'm sure the audio was better before.
I can boost the mic input but that isnt helping. I have however done some tests with the HI gain setting in the office today and that wasn't too bad. I've yet to try it outdoors.

I did try levalator in the past and wasn't pleased with the results. but will give it another go.

thanks for your advice.

David

David,

If you had better audio before, then I don't know what else to suggest. It must be (as you said in your initial post) some setting or button specific to the Edirol.

Unfortunately these little recorders often don't have very clean pre-amplifiers. So typically if you put the gain to the highest setting you get a lot more background noise than desirable. In your case it might be worth experimenting with :

1. regular gain + levalator later
2. high gain

My guess is option (1) will work better, but your ear is a better judge. I think the Levelator is at version 1.4. It's a lot better and cleaner than when it first came out at version 1.0.

I agree about too much noise with high gain so will give it a go with levelator.

unfortunatly, as usuall, time is my enemy as I have about 2hours of video to chop down to 3x3min pieces!

oh help me lord.

;-)

Was there any final resolution to this?

thx!

Hi sorry not to have replied earlier. Since getting myself a video camera I have actually been using that even when sometimes all I want is audio.

I did use the Edie this week for the first time in ages and it was quiet compared to the feed I get from my Sony A1e however, it was clean and I just boosted it a bit in GBand. I was using my sony (errr) mic which isnt a great mike compared to the NTG2 but, its what I had with me. I did have to almost stuff it up the nose of my interviwees but its not a bad result.
its not a great show but you can hear the audio ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTbJ_fsJiyY