Topic: Importing Audio in SoundSlides plus causes error

I'm having some issues importing MP3s into Soundslides plus.
Originally when I'd import an MP3 track into the program, the audio would not play even though the import audio progress bar (and process) would finish "successfully".  The audio's timer displaying the length of the track is 0:00.0.  Pressing the "play" button does nothing.  If I move the "slider" that should display the current slide being displayed, a black screen is shown instead.  It's also not possible to click on a specific slide and have that display either.

If I re-encode that same audio track in iTunes into an MP3 and import it as the audio track, the audio's speed is increased to the point that it sounds like the chipmunks are speaking.  The total presentation time is the correct length, in this case about 47 minutes, but the audio cuts out about half way through.  That is to say that about half way through no sound is played but the presentation will continue to "play" for the correct length of time.

Suggestions?

Re: Importing Audio in SoundSlides plus causes error

That appears to be an issue with the sample rate of the audio.  Can you confirm that the audio sample rated at 44100, with a bit rate of 56k or 128k?

If you're using iTunes, these directions should help in checking the particular rates:
http://soundslides.com/support/index.ph … &id=28

If you've already checked those rates, then I'd like to see the file itself if possible.  Can you post it somewhere where I can download it? 

A 47 minute file is probably too big to be emailed ...

-joe

3 (edited by JasonSangfroid 2008-09-04 13:32:57)

Actually, when I followed the above steps for converting the mp3 and making sure it was at 44.1...well, the audio cuts out after about a minute...but that's in Winamp...odd that the audio track length is correct.
The old version, the ones causing the error are at 96Kbps and 43.6kbps.
The newly converted track, the one made when following the above directions is at 43.6.

edit:
unfortunately I don't have a version that's non-proprietary...i'll see what i can do...

If you're still getting 43.6 kbps, then I think there's something wrong with the encode that's happening in iTunes.

Perhaps you can try Switch to encode to MP3.  It's a free MP3 encoder, here's the download:

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/switchsetup.exe

Flash playback (which Soundslides uses) can be very picky with MP3 rates.

-joe

5 (edited by JasonSangfroid 2008-09-05 14:27:56)

I tried the free encoder linked above.
Now the audio is playing but it still sounds like chipmunks...
I first tried encoding at 128 then I tried 96 kbps without any change.
If you send me url for a file hosting site, i'll post it...

I've emailed the FTP login to your email account.
joe

Joe,

I have uploaded the file "Support_Webinar_8-29-2008v2.mp3" to the ftp site as directed.
It's located in the "files_go_in_here" directory. 

Let me know what I can do to help out...

Jason,

That file was set to 16.000 rather than 44.100. 

http://media.soundslides.com/files/rate16000.jpg

I'm not sure what would have caused that ... Step 6 in the iTunes MP3 encoding directions should have handled that.  You might want to try updating iTunes to see if there's something amiss there.

I've converted the file to 44100, and uploaded it into the same folder on the FTP site.  It's named "Support_Webinar_8-29-2008v2_new.mp3"

Let me know if that file imports at the correct speed.

-joe

Joe,
That seems to have worked.
Thank you for the help.
I'll let y'all know if there are any further issues.
Regards,
Jason

I'm having this same error again.
I've converted the mp3 using Switch as mentioned above...the conversion happens as normal.
The converted mp3's sample rate is at 16kHz with the bit rate being 56kbps.
I do not see a way to change the sampling rate in Switch to 44100...how is that done?

Hey Jason.

It's actually a two-step process in the free version of Switch. 

1) Set the file conversion to ".wav" format and click on "Encoder Options..." and set it to 16-bit, 44100.
2) Now convert the resulting WAV file back to an MP3 at 56kbps or 128kbps.

-joe

12 (edited by JasonSangfroid 2008-11-24 15:23:51)

this is very odd...

when i convert to a WAV file the bit rate is listed as 1411kbps with a Sample rate of 44.1 kHz...even though I set Switch to convert at 16 bit...

either way, because of this, I can't import the resulting mp3 file.

ideas?

edit
this seems to be related to the fact that i was converting in stereo.
now that i converted the file in Mono...it's only at 705 kbps
either way though...it outputs at 56kbps bit rate and so Soundslides won't import it.

13 (edited by joeweiss 2008-11-24 15:26:29)

WAV bitrates should be somewhere around 1411kbps since they are uncompressed.

There are three sets of numbers (kbps, bits, and kHz).  If you export to a 128kbps, 16-bit, 44.1khz MP3 file, it should import. 

If not, email me the MP3 and I'll check it out.  If the file is too big for email, I'm sending you the FTP logins now.

-joe

support@soundslides.com

I'll have to email it to you because that's what i'm seeing...
Is that ftp site still available for upload?
The file may be too large to email.

I just sent the login info to your email account.  It's the same server/login/password as last time.

joe

thank you.
it's on its way now.
20081113ZackWebinarV2.mp3

I'm downloading it now.  Be back in a few ...
-joe

I'm not sure what's going on with Switch, but that MP3 is set to 8khz instead of 44.1khz.

I'm converting it now, then uploading it back to the FTP site.  I'll post here when it is finally uploaded.

joe

thank you.

It's up on the FTP site now, in the "files_go_in_here" folder.

20081113ZackWebinarV2-44100.mp3

-joe

I'm still receiving the error
"Audio import failure.
The audio file could not be imported. Please confirm that the file is an MP3 formatted file."

Are you on XP or Vista?  I'm importing that MP3 file here on all the test computers to see if I can locate a problem.  It's a longer than usual MP3 file, but I don't think that would be a problem.

joe

I'm using an XP system.
This is also a fresh, Soundslides Plus 1.9.2 I believe, install.
I downloaded it this afternoon.

Actually, can you try this and send me a diagnostic report?

1. Copy your audio file to your DESKTOP
2. Launch Soundslides Plus
3. Create a new project on your Desktop
4. Import your audio
5. At the first sign of error, right-click anywhere on the Soundslides Plus window.  This will display a "right-click" menu.
6. Select the menu item "Diagnostic" from the "right-click" menu.
7. Copy and paste all the text and return the text via email to support@soundslides.com

I'll use that information to replicate your computer's setup here and test.  I'm not sure what's going on.  Sorry.

-joe

hmmm
so that's odd.

I closed out my session of Soundslides.
Moved the mp3 to the desktop...Opened a new Soundslides session and successfully added the audio to the new project I created.
I then closed out the current session of Soundslides, re-opened it, and created a new session using the audio in the original project's location (after clearing out the old project files).  The audio was added first and then the images.
So far, everything's working fine...

I had originally been adding the image file first, before the audio that is.  I wonder if this was the issue.