Topic: Need help with combining multiple sound files

I have my images, background music, and multiple sound recordings from interviews to develop my first Soundslide presentation for a young man with developmental disabilities. My next step is to combine all this to make one great audio slideshow or "Digital Story".

I have the current version of Audacity. I have used Audacity many times for converting audio only, but never as an editing tool to combine multiple sound files into one. Anyone know of a resource for a step by step guide to do this?

OR...does anyone have a better suggestion of an inexpensive audio editing software??? What do you think about Audio Creator LE??? Is there something better for about $50-$75???

I have Windows XP w/ 1 gig ram. Audio was captured using a Sony MZ R50 and Sony ECM MS907 mic...and images captured w/ my Nikon D70. Background sound is guitar music from my brother in law.

My goal is to have images for a three and a half minute slide show with sound from my interviews playing during precise moments of the presentation. The guitar music will play through the entire presentation.

The audio slideshow will be used to promote a project I am leading for individuals and families with developmental disabilities.

I hope this is enough information???

Thanks,

Ed

Re: Need help with combining multiple sound files

Well, the good news is you are looking at the best product on the market to do it!

I dont use Audacity but many people on here do. You can create new tracks that you import new pieces of audio onto

That will enable you to move clips arround as you like. Just like layers in Pshop.

when you are happy you compress all the sounds into one layer. Just like PS and import that into soundslides when it tells you to.

I hope that is of help.

Hey Ed.

I'd start with Audacity actually.

Check out Mindy McAdams' tutorial here. 

http://mindymcadams.com/tojou/2007/part … o-editing/

Grab part 2 of her tutorial and check out the "Time Shift Tool".  Basically, you'll need to import each of your audio files as a track, then trim with the "Selection" tool, and slide them into place with the "Time Shift Tool".

Give us a shout if you run into trouble and someone will jump in to help.

-joe

Thanks guys!! This is EXACTLY what I needed! I will definitely 'call' if I need help.

Ed

5 (edited by edlittlejr 2008-04-25 13:32:30)

I just completed my first Soundslide!! Its about Doug benefiting from participating in a project I lead called People Planning Together. The project is about people that use developmental disability services taking a lead role in planning their own life. I will also post this in the "Share Your Work" section.

Here is the Soundslide link:

http://www.arizonaphoto.com/wp/soundslide/doug/

Here is the webpage about the project I oversee:

http://www.otac.org/isp/ppt

Again, thank you so much for your support with my first Soundslide...I am already planning another show!

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

Very nice piece.. Thanks for posting it. I´m curious about what recorder and mic you used.

Jenifer J

Hi Jenifer,

The audio was captured using a Sony Minidisc MZ R50 and a Sony ECM MS907 mic. The background sound is guitar music from my brother in laws work....Aaron White with Skychasers.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Ed