1 (edited by antiphon 2008-12-12 20:45:28)

Topic: pocket devices for multi-track recording - advice from owners please!

I'm in the process of searching for a good device for my purposes.  I've looked at the basics - Tascam DR-1, Zoom H2 and H4; also Boss Micro BR (I'd need a mic but that's a query for another time).  My budget is <£200.

I've read that the H2 has no multitrack facility at all, and the Tascam (thank you to a poster here!) will only do literal overdubs.  Can you ping-pong using the Tascam - i.e. keep dubbing new recording onto the overdubbed track?  My purpose will be recording vocal harmonies & different instrument lines, so anything approximating proper multi-track capability is what I need.

With the Boss Micro, can you bounce tracks down as well?

Naturally, proper multi-tracking would be ideal - being able to keep each recorded track separate but still play them all at once while recording a new one. I don't think I'll be able to get this on my budget though.

Other device suggestions are welcome!  Especially as having shopped around I'm ideally looking for something a bit cheaper... closer to £100.

Re: pocket devices for multi-track recording - advice from owners please!

How about the M-Audio Microtrack II - I can't spot if there's any multitrack facility on that ... ?

Re: pocket devices for multi-track recording - advice from owners please!

My paper recently purchased an H4 for me, and I've been very pleased with it, so far. The built-in mics sound really good, but I love the fact that the H4 has XLR mic jacks and true phantom power, so you can use any mic you want with it.

It will do 4-track recording, although I haven't played around with it yet. According to the manual, it WILL allow you to listen to previously recording tracks while recording another one. And you can bounce tracks down to a stereo file, save it, and then add it to another 4-track project.

The H4 lists here in the U.S. for $299, which is less than 200£ according to a conversion table I used on line. But I've seen the H4 on sale for as little as $229.