Topic: Gadget post! -- Edirol R-09

Has anyone tried it yet?

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc … jectId=757

B&H has it for $399, which still seems step for just another MP3 recorder.

-joe

Re: Gadget post! -- Edirol R-09

I just picked one up and have only tried a couple of test files. The size of the unit is very nice (think iPod generation 2 but lighter), and the easy accessability of some of the settings with switches on the back are nice. Based on a couple of the test files I'm worried that it records a bit too low, even with the levels set to high sensitivity using a Shure SM-48 mic. I have a Olympus DS-2 and that thing is almost overly sensitive even when the setting is set to low. Hopefully it is a problem with the converting connector I'm using between the mic and cable for the time being. That is maybe one drawback to the R-09 is the mini plug instead of an XLR for the input.

There are several options for the type of file to record as with WAV and MP3 at different sample rates and bit rates. The WAV setting makes big files. A 1GB SD card gets you about 96 min of audio at 44.1kHz 16bit WAV. Going through the menus on the unit are pretty easy. The battery life (2 AAs) is supposed to be better than the Microtec and being able to switch them out.

The built-in mics are not great but if you have a senior moment and forget a mic or a cable, I think you'll be able to survive. Just won't be that great. Don't know if all that helps, but when I get a better sense of the unit I'll add and/or subtract thoughts.

To add to my previous post:
The thing that I am really starting to dislike is the fact that the unit is so small, and with the switches on the back, you have to hold it in your hand. It's a bit of a pain to feel like one hand has to be dedicated to such a small thing. I'm trying to figure out some way to either attach a leash or some way to be able to let go and have it hang off my person some how. If anyone has devised a way please share.

The audio is nice and clean, when the mic you are using is placed in the proper place. One of the mics I am using (Shure SM-48) is a great mic, but has to be placed very close to the source. It is not working very well for ambient sound. I have been switching to a Sony ECM-CS10 clip-on mic for my ambient, that was supposed to be a cheap fix for a "wireless" on my DS-2. I even tried the built-in mics for ambient and it worked fairly well for the situation. I wish I had unplugged my SM-48 and used them in one situation already.

Other than those issues I really like the R-09 much better than the Marantz that I used a couple times. I was having some serious problems with the Marantz, so it may have soured my opinion. I know it is a solid unit.

I'll update again when something significant arises.

I guess its compact size could be problematic for some people/situations.
I really like it...I don't mind for example that the Zoom has slightly higher capability, because it won't slide like into a pocket like the Ed.
Only thing I'd criticise really is the build quality. In particular, the SD card/battery cover is clumsy and I think could easily break - not a good combination.

James Lomax wrote:

I guess its compact size could be problematic for some people/situations.
I really like it...I don't mind for example that the Zoom has slightly higher capability, because it won't slide like into a pocket like the Ed.
Only thing I'd criticise really is the build quality. In particular, the SD card/battery cover is clumsy and I think could easily break - not a good combination.

I am agree about SD card, you right!

Any more thoughts on the R-09?  I'm really leaning towards it at this point.

thanks,

is anyone using  R-09 with Edirol CS-15 mic.?

I recently purchase the Edirol and love it for a small, portable, easy-to-carry recorder. The audio quality is great for the built in mic, and it is really easy to use. I do agree that the slider that covers the media/batter slot is awkward, but not really a detracting factor for me in its use.