Topic: Converting .swf to another format

I'm sorry if this subject has already been covered; after what seemed to me to be a reasonably thorough search, I couldn't find a suitable answer.

I've just created my first Soundslides project, and the university for which I work wants to put it on their website--but they say that they can't use .swf. It has to be .flv or .mp4 or .wmv or .mov.

What's the best way to convert the .swf file that Soundslides produces into one of these other formats? I'm using a Mac, and we do have Flash CS5, but I don't want to pay for any other conversion utilities because the bureaucracy for getting the school to reimburse me for my purchase is just too much of a hassle. Is there a way to do it with Flash or a good free utility somewhere?

Thanks in advance for any counsel.

Re: Converting .swf to another format

Here is the page from the manual explaining the video converter. This is a free online tool for registered users that converts the slide show output from Soundslides or Soundslides Plus to an MP4 video file:

http://support.soundslides.com/index.ph … amp;id=132

Jonathan

3 (edited by petersdorff 2011-04-01 05:33:04)

Thanks, Jonathan, but the video converter doesn't seem to handle slide shows that include panning or zooming, and my slide show does both. Do you know of any other options that might be able to handle movement?

We have a new version of the converter that we're testing now that does include pan & zoom.  I'm sending you the link to the new converter via email now.

It's slower to convert than the current converter, but it will produce a mp4 with movements.

FYI, if anyone else wants to try it, just let us know.  The new converter is running on an internal server here in our office, so we can't post the link publicly just yet.

-joe

Yes. Absolutely would like to try this. Thanks
Sallie Kravetz

Please send link to smkravetz@gmail.com

Hi Sallie.

I've sent the link along via e-mail now.

-joe

Hi Joe,

I would also like to try the video converter that retains the pan/zoom effects.  I sent an email to the help desk about this as well.

I'm writing in the middle of a holiday weekend, but I'm in a bit of a time-crunch so any help would be greatly appreciated asap.

thanks,
adrian
akoPhoto,inc

Hi Adrian,

We sent a reply to your email. Let us know if you did not get it.

Jonathan

Joe,

Could you email me the link to the beta converter that keeps pan & zoom effects? Thank you very much.

Best,
Mark

mleccese@gmail.com

Sure thing Mark. I've sent it via email.

-joe

Hi. I know there are some free tools can help you can swf to other video formats like MP4, MKV and etc.
1. Free Handbrake can convert swf to mp4 and mkv.
2. Free online service YouConvertIt can help you convert swf to multiple video formats.
Currently I use this swf to flv converter for encoding flash to other popular video formats.