Topic: SoundSlides on Apple?

Hi,

I've just completed my first SoundSlide show as a feasibility study:

Taichung T

Although it works well on my 5 Windows 7 web browsers [FireFox, Opera, Chrome, IE & Safari], it isn't rendered correctly on any of the Apple products I've tested it on.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Andy

PS If I can get this to wotk on Apple products, then I'll be happy to buy a registration key for the Pro product.

Re: SoundSlides on Apple?

Hi Andy.

It looks like the HTML5 version's main CSS file is missing a portion of its data. 

That file is named "soundslides.css" and is located in the "_files" folder.

Try re-uploading that file to your server.

Here's the file as it exists on your server:
http://taichungt.com/ss-mondeo/_files/soundslides.css

And here's what it should look like:
http://media.soundslides.com/files/andy … slides.css

Let me know if that corrects the issue.

joe

Thanks Joe for your quick response.

I've uploaded your new css file into the _files folder and I'll test it when I get the chance.

This raises two questions though:

1) Since I uploaded the complete "publish_to_web" folder, and renamed it to "ss-mondeo", why wouldn't the souldslides.css be correct?

BTW: I even completely wiped all the uploaded data when I first noticed the issue and then uploaded it all again to see if that helped.

2) Is "soundslides.css" the same for every slideshow, or could it be a little different based upon my template settings etc.?

Thank you,
Andy

Hi Andy.

That's very odd.  The file is still truncated on your server; the first line is missing. 

Can you open that file on your computer and make sure it starts with the following line:
#container{

ambitw wrote:

1) Since I uploaded the complete "publish_to_web" folder, and renamed it to "ss-mondeo", why wouldn't the souldslides.css be correct?

BTW: I even completely wiped all the uploaded data when I first noticed the issue and then uploaded it all again to see if that helped.

It should be correct. Renaming the folder would not be related to a change in a file's length.  Most publisher's use the same "upload then rename" method that you're using.

ambitw wrote:

2) Is "soundslides.css" the same for every slideshow, or could it be a little different based upon my template settings etc.?

It's exactly the same for every slide show.  It's just a default file that's only used for the iOS/HTML5 version of the player.

Double-check that the file is correct on your machine.  If it isn't, then manually delete the "publish_to_web" folder from your project.  Then TEST and EXPORT again.

If that doesn't work, email support@soundslides.com and I'll send you the FTP information for our test server.  We'll try it on our server and see if we can isolate exactly where the file is being modified.

joe

Thanks Joe for your direct and quick answers!

joeweiss wrote:

Can you open that file on your computer and make sure it starts with the following line:
#container{

I've re-exported the project, and the first line is correct. No idea what happened before, but I know what to look out for if it happens in the future.

BTW: I was using Filezilla which I've used for years.

Thanks for your great service Joe,
Andy

Joe,

I went to Apple again, and once again, the slideshow wasn't working.

Checking the css file through Firefox [view, source], the first line "#container{" was *still* missing.

Yet, the css file downloaded directly through filezilla still contained "#container{".

I added two blank lines to the top of your soundslides.css file, and "#container{" is now on the 3rd line.

Hopefully it works now, and I'll go back to Apple to test the webpage again.

Q) Why did my server cut off the first line of your css file, but not my other css files?

Andy

Hi Andy.

I don't have any guesses on why the CSS file is being truncated. That's the only CSS file that's included in a Soundslides slide show, but I'm assuming that you have other CSS files that are part of your web site. 

You might want to ask your server provider about it. If the file is on the server with the 1st line, but it isn't being "served" with that line, then they might be able to tell you more.

Also, if you'd like, post the URL and I'll check it here for you.  That might save you a trip to the Apple store.

joe

Thanks Joe,

Apple?

Could you test it on Apple products for me:

SoundSlides Test

Missing first line

After extensive testing and looking at my other css files on my other websites, it seems this issue only occurs with SounldSlides.css and the one I'm using on the website now is one that I modified myself.

Nokia E71 & Opera

Although the slideshow works on Firefox, Opera for W7, Chrome, Safari & IE9,

it doesn't work on my E71 with the standard browser or with its Opera browser. That's not really a problem though, because so few people would use it to view my website.

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy.

It's still not working.  You can see it for yourself (in a regular browser) here:

http://cars85.com/ss-mondeo/?js

In investigating why this is happening, I compared the details of soundslides.css with some of the other css files on your site. 

The mime-type is different.  On soundslides.css it is text/html.

But on this link:
http://cars85.com/css/main.css

The mime-type is correctly set to text/css.

How are you uploading the "main.css" file?

I've asked someone that knows more about mime-types to chime in on this, but for the life of me I've never seen anything like this before.  The browsers are not reading the soundslides.css file at all when delivered from your server.

joe

Thanks Joe,

I've just had an idea what may be causing it, and I'll investigate it in a few days or so when I get time.

Of course, I'll post the results.

Andy

Joe,

I've updated the slideshow and will test it soon on Apple products to see if this resolves the issues.

Mondeo

If the SlidesShow works well on Apple, I'll give full details of what happened.

Thanks,
Andy

Joe,

I've been to the Apple store and the SoundSlides slideshow works well.

Problem solved!

Anyone reading this can be sure that SoundSlides works well on Apple products.

The issue: I forgot that I was using compression so that my css files needed some php code at the top.

Sorry for causing you any trouble, Joe.

This brings me to a new question. It's best I install the SoundSlides system files in one common folder. Like this:

mywebsite.com/soundslides would contain all the system files

mywebsite.com/mondeo would contain the images etc. for a single slideshow.

Can this be done?

Thanks,
Andy

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I've created a basic Soundslide (on a Mac OS 10.6.8) and compressed the publish_to_web folder to a ZIP file and emailed it to myself but at the other end (say another recipient), what folder do they need to open in order to open and view the presentation?

It's amazing that in all the FAQ's and Instruction Manual, this is not clear.

Please help as I need to make my presentation tomorrow night!

Thanks,

Fionan

Hi Fionan,

The recipient will need to unzip/extract the "publish_to_web" folder from the ZIP file before the slide show can be played. Both Windows and Mac OS X prevent files from playing from within a ZIP archive for security reasons. Once the "publish_to_web" folder is extracted, the recipient will need to open it and then open the "index.html" file inside using a web browser (usually double-clicking the file will do this, unless the computer is configured to open HTML files in another application). Here is some additional information on this topic:

http://support.soundslides.com/index.ph … &id=45

Best regards,

Jonathan