Topic: Text over image - best practices for fade in?

Hello all,

I am curious about how the slideshow below created text that fades in, without any change to the image.

Basically, if you check out how the title text appears over the image near the beginning (with about 3.40 remaining), and again how the interview subject text appears a couple of seconds later (with about 3.36 remaining), there is a fade in to the text, but not the image.

I assumed that they carried two JPGs - one without the text (to start) and one with the text, which would appear via crossfade.

However, when I do this, the entire image does that dim-to-light thing that the images do during a cross fade. The effect is lost, therefore, because the SAME image will fade a bit, then come back up with text on it.

Can anyone give me a technique to have JUST the text fade in, as per this audio slideshow:

http://duckrabbit.info/blog/2009/07/zen … -training/

Thanks in advance.

Re: Text over image - best practices for fade in?

It appears this slide show uses two otherwise identical slides, but the first without text and the second with, then uses a crossfade transition to give the illusion of the text fading in.

It appears the text is added in Photoshop or another image-editing application.

From your description, it sounds like you may be using the fade out/fade in transition instead of crossfade.

Here is some more information on transitions:
http://support.soundslides.com/index.ph … amp;id=140

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply.

I think you are right about the two slides being identical, except for one having text.

However, I don't think the fade out / fade in versus crossfade idea is entirely accurate.

In my own slideshows, I ONLY use crossfade for all transitions (ie: Template / Transitions / Crossfade). So I am not using the fade in / fade out.

When I click the small button between two slides and the transition window opens, I can obviously change the transition between any two slides, but the IMAGE also goes dim before and after the transition (it's not a full fade out, but it's opacity or something certainly changes).

Because of this, the same image fades (a little) before coming back in with text on it.

The slideshow in question has the image remain the exact same, and ONLY the text fades in.

My adjustments of transitions on individual slides AND on the template transitions do not get me around this image dimming.

Does anyone know how to do this with a text fade in?

Hi Scott.

I think I can explain.

Even when you use the crossfade transition between two identical images, there is a slight fade due to the way that a crossfade is computed in Flash Player.  However, the intensity of that fade is variable depending on the amount of lightness of the image.  So you might not notice a dip in density with a majority midtone-to-shadow image, especially when coupled with a quick crossfade.

The duckrabbit gang indeed used the two image procedure to fade in their text, but they did it with an image that had more dark midtones ... which was well suited for the effect.  I think they may have slightly decreased the fade time between those images as well, just to make the transition pass more smoothly.

(Here are the two images in question from DR's slide show if anyone doesn't understand what Scott and Jonathan are talking about.  Image without text and image with text.)

As for eliminating the transition dip completely, that's not possible with a standard crossfade.  We've worked to minimize it, but it would greatly degrade the transition smoothness to eliminate it completely.

-joe

An excellent response, Joe, and you are exactly bang-on. I wrote the DR crew and they confirmed the technique and that they decreased the cross-fade time.

They did not mention the image density, though, so that's a good layer to consider as well. I'll play around with it to get the effect in question.

I just wanted to make sure this effect wasn't a result of something I was missing, or perhaps a hard-cut transition throughout the template, with a single crossfade in these instances.

For what it is worth, I actually really like the dimming effect, but the text overlay is one of the few places I see it as troublesome.

Again, thanks for the response (to you and Jonathan), and the follow up info.

Hi Joe, Jonathan,

I have exactly the same issue as Scott. Here's my draft video.

https://vimeo.com/45744869

I'd like to get the text fading in and have made 2 duplicate slides (twice) at the beginning, the first image only, the second with text, but cannot manage to get the text fading in. Unfortunately, as you can see, the sudden appearance of the text takes away from the whole thing. I'm using a crossfade throughout and have decreased the transition time in the 3 places where text slides appear to the minimum of 0.1 seconds. Any longer and there is the transition dip which is a no-go, but it results in this sudden pop-up of text rather than fade in. Reading your advice to Scott can I conclude that there is nothing to be done about this, that there is no workaround?

Also, when I convert the SS to video it retains the sound (including bass) but when I uploaded to Vimeo, the bass almost disappears..:-( Any advice on that as well would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately it's hard for me to say whether or not there is a work around without being able to see the "dip" you're experiencing. Other than adjusting the transition time I don't think there is anything that can be done though.

As for the audio quality on vimeo I'm not aware of any solution to address the bass frequency being clipped.

Justin