Topic: garageband or audacity

For anyone who has used both Garageband and Audacity, would you mind giving a comparison of features, ease of use, etc.?

thanks,
teresa

Re: garageband or audacity

GBGBGBGBGBGBGBGBGBGBGBGBGB

had a tinker with audacity yesterday.  yughh

I regularly sit next to a photog who is growling and swearing alot using AD.

just my personal oppinion.

teresa

Garage Band has more features.  It is not Adobe Audition, but it's very complete.

Audacity is simple and free.  It works fine, too.

For a simple voice track or voice track plus music track/natural sound track -- either one will work well.

Personally, since I usually just record a voice track, I prefer Audacity.   Both will require a bit of learning to use them quickly and efficiently.  Both have good help files so you can teach yourself.

If you are planning to record your own music, by all means get GarageBand.  If you are just working with voicefiles or pre-recorded music tracks, Audacity will do the job nicely.

Since Audacity is free, why not download it and try it out?

I downloaded Audacity in June because I was tired of going back to OS 9 to use the Pro Tools Free I had installed there -- I use Macs. I hated Audacity for about a month until I figured out how to use it -- which turned out to be pretty simple and easy after I calmed down and worked out what I was doing wrong. Now I use Audacity for all my final mixing. I use GarageBand and love it for putting together loops and rhythm tracks, but I do all final mixing and editing in Audacity. It's an awesome program and it's free. I just scored a Zoom H2 digital recorder and it's turning out to be the most convenient and most powerful audio recorder I've  used -- and I started out cutting and splicing audio tape on reel-to-reel Sony machines back in radio days. Mixing audio on Macs with these tools allows you to focus on the creative side of the work.

I taught my photogs Garage Band because I thought it was more intuitive than Audacity. That might because I started editing sound with Amadeus II and Amadeus Pro and Audacity doesn't compare to those two programs. I prefer Amadeus Pro over Garage Band but for the beginner Garage Band is simple to learn and works pretty well for simple edits.

6 (edited by whynotsb 2008-09-25 15:07:05)

Garage Band is definitely easier to use. It's best feature is live effects plug-ins -- that is, you can hear the effects and tweak them as your tracks play. Audacity, on the other hand, won't let you do that. You have to select a small part of your audio, apply one effect setting, play it back, and if you like it, you can undo the effect then reapply it to the entire track. A definite pain in the arse.

Audacity has a big advantage for those with audiophile leanings: Garage Band is limited to playing and recording 16-bit/44.1KHz files uncompressed files. Audacity will let you edit any file up to 24-bit/96KHz files, which many field recorders are capable of producing. Since audio CDs are all mixed down to 16/44 anyway, and most of us are compressing our files down to mp3s, who needs that much information in an audio recording? Well, it's not unlike photographers who shoot 12 or 14-bit RAW files, even though the final output will be an 8-bit, compressed JPEG file -- YOU get to control what information gets kept and what gets thrown out -- not your gear.

Can you hear the difference between a recording made in 16/41 and one made in 24/96 if you're going to compress them into mp3s or m4as? Don't know. Try it and see.

On the end, I use Garage Band most of the time, but I'd like to find something with a little more umph! Maybe Amdeus?

7 (edited by MarciCat 2011-07-26 11:53:11)

Hey, everyone! Quite aware that this is an older topic, but I wanted to thank you for all of your suggestions. I've often wondered if Garageband was better than Audacity (or vice versa). It seems as though each program has excellent attributes -- so I'm at a bit of a crossroads when it comes to what I should download. Judging by the suggestions provided, I'll give them both a shot. That is. . . if there's a trial version for Garageband (I hope).  Speaking of audio software (on the computer), what computer speakers would you folks recommend? Thanks, everyone! smile

8 (edited by Tomass 2012-06-14 00:09:27)

It depends on how ambitious you want to get. I use a copy of Cakewalk Music Creator that I just happen to have handy on my work laptop, but there's dozens of software packages for this kind of thing. A lot of people use Audacity just because it's freeware. I don't really have time for post-production on these (work plus kids, I barely have time to game), so I do as little as possible - stuff like cutting out Chad's credit card info when he calls to order the pizza, or eliminating unrelated pre-game chatter, the occasional bit of embarrassing off-topic silliness, that kind of thing. I sometimes boost the gain a little bit if the players are being quiet, which can happen during a late game when everyone's tired. Oh, and Chad's dog - she's been the bane of our recordings for some time now, but sometime around session 20 we finally figured out that we were taking up her favorite spot on the couch. Now that we've let her have it back she's much more relaxed.